The purpose of the policy is to describe (a) the conditions under which BVCA, as controller (i.e. the legal entity that decides on the purposes and means of personal data processing) processes personal data (i.e. data relating to an identified or identifiable individual, such as yourself and your relevant employees and other representatives) and (b) your rights and our obligations in relation to such processing.
1. Which information does BVCA collect?
In general, BVCA collects general identification information about all individuals with whom BVCA interacts, such as the name, title, position, company name, professional and/or private email and/or postal address, fixed and/or mobile phone number as well as any information provided directly by such persons (e.g. by email or through providing business cards).
In addition, BVCA collects the following information about the specific categories of individuals listed below.
If you are a member of BVCA or an attendee at an event or meeting organised by us, BVCA will collect the following categories of personal data relating to you, as part of its activities:
- your identification data;
- your education and experience;
- your profession and function;
- your membership status;
- your residence;
- your participation in our events.
If you are a representative of associations, companies or other partners cooperating with or providing services to BVCA, BVCA collects the following categories of personal data relating to you in the framework of such cooperation:
- your identification data (such as your name, phone numbers and professional email address);
- your profession and function; and
- any other information required for the above cooperation with or the provision of the services to BVCA.
If you are a fund manager, a representative of a company involved in the private equity and venture capital industry (whether you or your company is a member of BVCA or not, BVCA collects the following categories of personal data relating to you:
- your identification data (such as your name, professional phone number, professional address and professional email address);
- your profession and function; and
- any other information you may provide to BVCA in the framework of business research.
2. What does BVCA do with this information?
2.1. Present and future members
BVCA only handles personal data relating to you as a member (present and future) for specific purposes, based on your consent or our legitimate interest.
2.2. Events, partnerships and training courses
BVCA handles personal data relating to present and future attendees of events and training courses for:
- the organisation of these events and courses as well as upcoming ones;
- attendees’ administration;
- communication regarding the event;
- administration of mobile networking applications; and
- marketing purposes (including emailing of information about our activities).
2.3. Public affairs
BVCA only handles personal data relating to officials, policy makers and their assistants for specific purposes based on its legitimate interest, which is to participate in the policy debate regarding private equity and venture capital in Europe, and in particular for:
- contacting relevant officials and policymakers engaged in policy debates impacting BVCA’s members and improving their understanding of private equity/venture capital and its contribution to the economy;
- organising meetings and events with officials and policy makers involved in various workstreams and policy debates of interest to BVCA and its members; and
- providing position papers, video and written communications (reports) about private equity and venture capital.
BVCA only handles personal data relating to journalists for specific purposes based on its legitimate interest, which is to participate in the policy debate regarding private equity and venture capital actors in Europe, to improve the reputation and understanding of the private equity industry and to promote European private equity to global investors.
2.5. Cooperation with or provision of services to BVCA
BVCA handles personal data relating to representatives of associations, companies and other partners cooperating with or providing services to BVCA for the following purpose based on BVCA’s legitimate interest, which is to communicate with contact persons in cooperating associations, companies and other partners: for communications with respect to such cooperation and provision of services.
BVCA handles personal data relating to (i) fund managers, (ii) representatives of companies involved in the private equity and venture capital or start-up industry and, in particular, for:
- the creation of presentations for the ecosystem; and
- the creation of statistics and reports regarding private equity and venture capital.
2.7. General purposes
More generally, BVCA processes personal data of contacts on the basis of its legitimate interest, which is to communicate with relevant stakeholders about its core activities in relation to the private equity and venture capital sector.
3. Your rights in respect of your personal data
You may exercise the following rights with respect to your personal data under the conditions and within the limits set forth in the applicable data protection law:
- to access it and if you believe that any information relating to you is incorrect, incomplete or not up to date, to request its correction; and
- to request its erasure.
You can exercise the above rights by sending an email to BVCA at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not satisfied with the way we process your personal data, please let us know and we will investigate your concern using the above communication means.
Changes or additions to the processing of your personal data as described in this policy, such as other purposes for processing your personal data or new recipients of such data, may be notified to you through amendments to this policy or through individual notice.